With the sad passing of a cruise ship passenger recently on a Virgin Voyages ship, I wanted to take a moment and reflect on how to prevent sad tragedies like this from happening. Cruise ship fatalities are rare, however, they do happen. Most of the time, they can be prevented.
Here are some tips to make sure you don’t fall off a cruise ship:
- Always be aware of your surroundings. This means paying attention to where you are walking and being aware of potential hazards, such as open railings or slippery surfaces.
- Wear sturdy shoes with non-slip soles. This will help you maintain your footing on wet or slippery surfaces.
- Hold on to handrails when available. This is especially important when walking on stairs or near open railings.
- Don’t drink alcohol to excess. Alcohol can impair your judgment and coordination, making you more likely to fall.
- Don’t walk around the ship alone at night. If you must walk around the ship alone at night, make sure to let someone know where you are going and when you expect to be back.
- Be careful when using the ship’s facilities. This includes things like the pool, the gym, and the spa. Make sure to follow all safety instructions and use proper safety equipment.
- If you see someone who appears to be in danger of falling, offer to help them. This could mean simply holding their hand or providing them a safe place to sit.
- If you do fall, don’t panic. Try to stay calm and call for help. The ship’s crew will be able to assist you and get you the medical attention you need.
Here are some additional tips on how to stay safe on a cruise ship:
- Attend the muster drill. This is a safety drill that is conducted by the ship’s crew. It is important to attend this drill so that you know what to do in case of an emergency.
- Be aware of your personal belongings. Keep them close to you at all times, and don’t leave them unattended in public areas.
- Be careful when using the ship’s elevators. Make sure to stand back from the doors when they open, and don’t try to enter or exit the elevator if it is full.
- If you have any medical conditions, make sure to let the ship’s doctor know about them. This way, they can make sure that you are properly cared for in case of an emergency.
- Be aware of the ship’s security procedures. This includes things like where the lifeboats are located and how to use them.
- If you see something suspicious, report it to the ship’s security staff. This could include things like someone acting suspiciously or someone trying to access restricted areas.
- Follow the ship’s rules and regulations. This includes things like not smoking in non-smoking areas and not drinking alcohol to excess.
Following these tips can help you stay safe and enjoy your cruise vacation.